Thursday, October 26, 2023

CRANE MIGRATION UNDERWAY

 

I got an Audubon e-bird alert that large numbers of cranes were assembling on Zue Road near Buckley.  




They call it a “staging” area when Sandhill Cranes gather to rest and replenish energy reserves for their migration to winter habitats in Florida.



When I arrived, it was pretty chaotic with cranes flying in, jumping around, and creating a cacophony of sound with their bugling calls.





The field where the birds were staging was huge so I took a movie with my phone to capture the scope of the scene, although it was too far away for sharp images.  I think you’ll get the idea, though.




I next turned my long lens towards the sky to capture the fly-ins and saw this family with two youngsters navigating electrical wires.  Luckily, cranes fly in the daytime so they can see where they’re going versus many birds who experience the dangers of the night sky for their migration.





I watched another pair begin their descent to the ground, legs coming down as landing gear, wings outstretched for balance and drag.  



Floating through the fall color added beauty to their landing.



Once on the ground, the cranes ate and preened to keep their flight feathers in shape.  A lone young crane, still without its red crown markings, seemed lost about what to do.  What did it make of all the chaos of its first migration?




I wondered whether “my” seven farm country cranes were part of this group of hundreds.  I left Zue Road and headed to the Kingsley four-corners and immediately saw the family with the youngster near the soybean field where they live.  I could see the red crown was beginning to show on the juvenile.




Nearby, my favorite pair stood just outside their corner pond habitat.  I didn’t see the other non-breeding pair in their regular spot, though.  I know that every time I visit their habitat this time of year, it could be the last time I see them until spring.  Safe travels, birdies.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful series of crane captures, Karen! It has been a long while since I've found any up here. Jan

    ReplyDelete