Thursday, October 27, 2022

TRANSITIONS

 

We’re past peak fall color now, but I couldn’t resist one more outside foray to capture the season’s waning beauty.

 


 If you’re lucky, and the sun is shining on a wooded vista, you would hardly notice the difference.

 


 There is still plenty of “yellow wood” in the forests too.

 


 And some variety of trees just hold onto their color longer.

 


 But over the last few days, the colors have begun to dull a shade or two. 

 


 Yellows to golds to browns.

 


 But the changes in nature aren’t happening just to the trees.  The fall bird migration is underway too. Throughout October, cranes have been gathering in small groups to prepare for their trips.  These two families will be taking their juveniles south for the first time.

 


 Until Monday, though, I hadn’t seen evidence that the migration was actually underway.  Then, I saw a large group of Sandhill Cranes late afternoon congregating in a distant field after a day in the air. 

 


 Frustrated that I couldn’t get closer, I pulled Google Earth up on my iPhone to see if there was a way into the habitat, which had ponds and fields of corn dregs.  The closest I could get was the seasonal road running along the bottom of the map. 


Trumpeter Swans were flying in too and I caught this family with a juvenile making its first migration from Alaska and British Columbia to the Great Lakes, Chesapeake Bay, and North Carolina.

 


 Wave after wave of geese flew in last, honking loudly as they approached.  It appeared that the habitat was large enough to accommodate all three migrating species in their own areas.

 


 Not being able to catch any close-ups of the birds, I moved on to check on the crane family I’d been following throughout the summer and fall.  They’d been in the same field every time I visited all season, but for the third day in a row, the field was empty.  I think they’ve left and it made me sad.  For me, the seasonal transition from fall to winter is the hardest.

 















4 comments:

  1. I love this post, Karen. The combination of beautiful late fall color shots and migratory bird shots was a pleasure to view. Love those Sandhill Cranes! Hopefully, "your" Crane family will return next spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. Since cranes tend to nest is the same spots every year, I expect I'll see them in the spring.

      Delete
  2. Love the golds, Karen. Surprised that you found cranes still here, but maybe they were on their way down from Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, P.J. I think the farm country where I photograph cranes is both a major staging area for local cranes heading south and a rest stop for migrating cranes. The abundant corn fields and farmland ponds make it popular. I checked back at my 2021 pictures and found migrating cranes as late as November 13 and the crane family I photograph often was still around on November 6. So, I was puzzled why the family had left so early. In 2020, I photographed huge numbers of migrating cranes on November 7.

    ReplyDelete