Thursday, August 4, 2022

Herons!

 

I’ve been searching my regular spots for Great Blue Herons all summer to no avail.

 


 And then I flushed one from the four-corners pond site I visit on a regular basis.


It didn’t go far, only to the other side of the pond.


It stood still as a statue, attempting to camouflage itself among the marsh grasses.


 It soon took off over the golden field and hay bales.  I didn’t get a very good shot off, though.  I thought it was going to the pond just across the street, but when I searched there, I didn’t see the Great Blue so I moved on.


Over by the Anderson Creek marsh, I spotted a pair of juvenile Wood Ducks, just coming into their colors.


I also caught this pair of fawns through my dirty windshield down this seasonal road.


I returned to the four-corners pond where I thought the Great Blue had flown and immediately saw this Green Heron.  It was my night for herons!


And then I spotted the Great Blue again, this time perched among some fallen logs.


The heron stretched its long neck and began to emerge from the woods.  It was getting dark, however, and more difficult to take good pictures so I moved on to give the beautiful bird its space.  It had already been a great evening for taking pictures.





2 comments:

  1. Wonderful that you found all these herons and other birds and critters, too, Karen! Isn't it a great time of year?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. It sure is a great time of year. Soooo much to photograph.

    ReplyDelete