Thursday, January 13, 2022

JUST THE REGULARS

 

It was a recent Sunday morning.  A quiet morning.  I headed over to Logan’s Landing, hoping to see some of the waterfowl reported on Audubon alerts.  A double-crested cormorant was first on my list. 

 


 I chose to go on a Sunday so the area would be quieter without the construction machinery at work.  I was amazed at all the work on the boardwalk across the South Boardman that had continued.  Even in the cold temperatures!  The surface of the bridge was being laid.  

 


 A couple guys were even taking a walk onto the  boardwalk.  I guess I wasn’t the only one curious about what was happening.  I wondered whether there would be rails on the sides of the bridge. 


 

I left the boardwalk and drove to the north end of the shops.  Right away I could see where the second bridge was going to cross over to Medalie Park.  The excavation looked ready for the next steps.



I next headed over to Medalie Park to check out the waterfowl and was greeted by a sign announcing road closed.  It had been moved to the side, as people were clearly going around it.  Construction equipment filled the parking lot, and I noticed new fencing was completed near the water’s edge.

 


 On one side of the road, parts of a lovely, pre-assembled bridge rested on the fresh snow.  How cute this would be!

 


 On the other side of the road, was another section of pre-assembled bridge.  I couldn’t quite imagine whether it was going to be all one bridge or two separate bridges.  Again, I was astounded at the work being done in snowy and frigid conditions.

 


 Oh, and the waterfowl!  The Boardman was full of swans, as is typical of this area.  Looks like there were a couple of love birds, even.

 


 Geese and mallards also populated the area.  Many seemed to be sleeping, some were preening, and a few were spreading their wings.



Lots of seagulls were resting on the logs, busy fishing.  It was fun watching them dive.  But I didn’t see any cormorants or unique migrating ducks.  Just the regulars.  It was exciting, though, to see all the progress being made on the new trail.

NEW KNEE UPDATE:  My surgery on Monday was successful.  I'm three days out and doing quite well.  I can walk better with a walker than before the surgery.  I have some pain, but it is being managed pretty well with the pain meds.  The worst pain is when I get up to stand from a seated position.  Mostly the meds make me really sleepy. 







 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along on your Sunday trip to check for waterfowl, Karen! You certainly found a lot them! Especial thanks for the update on your knee surgery. Jackie and I are very glad that your surgery was successful and that you are well on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. I’m really doing well post surgery.

    ReplyDelete