Thursday, September 10, 2020

AN END-OF-SUMMER SUNSET

 

I hadn’t been to Empire beach all summer, so I decided it was the perfect time to head there and capture an end-of-the-summer sunset. 


As I turned from the village onto Niagara Street towards the beach, I noticed parking was backed up all the way past beautiful South Bar Lake.  Not surprising for Labor Day Weekend, but not a good sign for me to find a shooting spot.

 


 I followed the crawl of traffic into the park and could see the beach was packed with folks enjoying the beautiful day against the backdrop of Lake Michigan and Sleeping Bear Dune.

 


The sun was getting pretty low in the sky, and I wasn’t having much luck finding a parking spot.  I snapped a few pictures as I inched along and waited for something to open up.


People were changing their activities from conversation and games to focusing on the approaching sunset.  Smartphones were up and folks were snapping the spectacle unfolding before them. 


Time was running out to find parking as the sun neared the horizon.  I’d driven forty-five minutes to capture this sunset, so I did what others were doing in desperation.  I pulled onto the sidewalk and parked.

It was just in the nick of time too, as the sun seemed to melt into the waters of Lake Michigan, with the sky pinking up the scene.

 

It sank lower.

Lower yet.

 

And then it was gone.  Even with the drive and parking hassles, it was a perfect end-to-summer sunset.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful shots, Karen! I am glad that you persevered and got these gorgeous end of summer sunset images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. It was worth staying for.

    ReplyDelete