Monday, November 6, 2023

PURE LAKESHORE: OFF THE BEATEN PATH

 

Once again, I venture into Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore.




Seasonal roads seduce me.  When I see this sign, I’m drawn to areas off the beaten off path, where seeing the unexpected is the norm.




Most trees along the seasonal roads are deciduous, but occasional pine plantations dot the landscape.  I love their symmetry and the sunlight dappling their bark.




Creeks occasionally run through the backroads too.  I’ve seen herons at this one, Otter Creek.  But not this day.




Abandoned barns not on the historic registry make me wonder about their stories.




Seasonal roads are sandy and unpaved with lots of erosion along the sides.  Sometimes they are steep and narrow.




The roads are often curvy and breathtakingly beautiful on the way down.




Trees that line the edges display interesting root art.




I surprise lots of wildlife as I pass through, especially deer in the early mornings or at dusk. I even see an occasional bear.



My favorite sightings, though, are the peeks I get of Lake Michigan.



I even came upon the back side of North Bar Lake where it merges with Lake Michigan. 



Quaint, abandoned outhouses are along the way too.  On especially long drives, I’ve been tempted to enter one but decided against it, fearing the consequences of old, rotting wood interiors. 




I took this series of pictures over the early fall when there was abundant greenery.  I imagine these roads would look different now.  One thing doesn’t vary, however.  My car always comes out looking the same from my backroad treks.




2 comments:

  1. A beautiful series of shots, Karen, with some humor thrown in for good measure. Jan

    ReplyDelete