Thursday, February 18, 2021

HUNGRY BIRDS

 

The spring after I moved into my new house two years ago, I did landscaping and planted trees and flowers.  I especially wanted ones that would attract birds.

 


 I planted one crab apple tree that hopefully would attract Cedar Waxwings in the winter.  I thought it would take several years for the fruit to mature enough, but I was very surprised to see a flock of about twenty eating the tiny apples a few days ago.


I love these distinctive birds with their crested head, black mask, buff underparts, and yellow-tipped tail.


These guys are voracious eaters.  Legend has it that these birds can get drunk on fruit that has fermented over the winter and then display erratic behavior and flying.  I don't think my little apples were large enough for fermentation, but they were sure the right size to fill the waxwing's mouth.


It was hilarious to watch them contort in all directions to eat the berries.  It didn't take long for the waxwings to practically strip the tree of its fruit.


I'd had a lot of Audubon reports for both Cedar Waxwings and Bohemian Waxwings in our area.  While the two birds are quite similar, the Cedar Waxwing has a yellowish breast and belly versus the gray body of the Bohemian.


I got three days of watching them and taking pictures before the tree was mostly bare.  From the chubby body of this Waxwing, it looks like they had enough to eat.



 

 

2 comments:

  1. I love this delightful, colorful series, Karen! How great that your wish to attract Cedar Waxwings was fulfilled so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. These birds were fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete