Thursday, January 28, 2021

ANOTHER SNOWY AFTERNOON

 

Yesterday, we'd been having heavy lake-effect snow all morning.  I had planned, according to the weather report, to head out for picture-taking.  I was concerned about the roads but decided to test them close to home before going farther.

 


 The roads were fine so I headed for the ball park in search of the Snowy Owl.  Right away, my trip paid off because I spotted one atop the building there.  I wasn't sure if I could get closer because the gates are often closed.


I was in luck as the park grounds were open.  I drove around the buildings to the far end where I'd seen the female Snowy.  She was still there but had moved higher up onto the peak.


She spotted me right away but didn't seem the least concerned about my presence, stretching her long body along the roof edge.   


She swiveled her head to the back to check out the ballpark grounds, hoping to sight some prey, especially voles or mice.


Each time she swiveled back, she looked down to see if I was still there.  She was ever-alert to her surroundings.


She made a point to look right at me with those piercing yellow eyes.  Her wings fluttered a bit and I wondered if she was about to fly but it was all a false alarm.  She was staying put.


She began her rotation to check out the ballpark field again, but even in the swivel, she kept me in sight.


I felt really lucky to have sighted my second Snowy of the season, as I've heard they aren't here in great numbers this winter as in years past.  And, oh those eyes!  They really grab you.  Such a beautiful bird.








2 comments:

  1. So appropriate to capture shots of a Snowy Owl on a snowy day, Karen!

    She is sooooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete