Thursday, August 20, 2020

FUN WITH A FISHEYE LENS

 

When I switched to lighter camera gear a couple years ago, I purchased a fisheye lens.  I'd always wanted this lens for its creative possibilities, but I'd only used it once.  I decided it was time to learn more about how to use my fisheye.

 

 

So what exactly is a fisheye lens?  Here's a picture of mine.  It's an ultra wide-angle lens that produces strong visual distortion intended to create a wide panoramic image.  Mine is an 8 mm, which is super wide.  Notice the lens is curved, which is what creates the distortion.


I went out to Old Mission Peninsula, where I thought there would be plenty of opportunities for practice.  Here's my first image.  The curvature is obvious, but I wish I'd been closer to capture more of West Bay. 


I like this shot better because the curvature is not only in the land, but in the trees too, which nicely frame the bay. 


I proceeded to the overlook on Center Road, where I've taken many sunset pictures.  This time I pointed my camera down, which reversed the curvature.

 

I was heading to the tip and decided to stop off at Bower's Harbor.  I saw this interesting rock garden and the ultra wide lens allowed me to capture the whole thing.


Almost to Lighthouse Park, I pulled over at one of my favorite sunset spots.  I wish there would have been some interesting clouds for this image.  I've learned I need to spot my camera very low with these fisheye shots.


I'd read that fisheye lenses are especially good for photographing architecture, particularly interiors.  Here is my shot of Old Mission Lighthouse.  It was nice to be able to capture the whole building.


With my back to the lighthouse, I shot this image of the beach at the tip.  I like how the fence really accentuates the curvature.


Before leaving Lighthouse Park, I stopped off at one of the many pathways to the beach.  The trees really do a good job of framing the path.


I saw this barn on the Old Mission Quilt Barn Trail and decided to take a picture.  Whoa!  A pregnant barn!  The distortion from a fisheye lens can really get out of hand.


My last shot was of this hollyhock bush in someone's yard.  I didn't take a lot of time to frame the bush because I was trespassing, but I could see the possibilities of shooting flowers too with this lens.  All in all, a great learning experience.

2 comments: