Thursday, April 9, 2020

ANOTHER ESCAPE INTO NATURE


It was time to take another break from the pandemic crisis and escape into the natural world.  One of the places where I drive is a haven for hawks.  Sometimes I see them, and sometimes I don’t.



On this spring evening, I caught sight of a hawk sitting on top of some tree branches.  It was on the wrong side of the road to photograph, so I drove on and turned around.  I was quite a distance away and wasn’t sure whether this was a Broad-winged Hawk or a Red-shouldered Hawk.




Hawks are challenging to photograph because they are flighty and will take off at first sight of encroachment.  I approached very slowly, but this one has already caught sight of me.




And sure enough, without me moving any closer, the hawk took off.  Luckily, I was able to follow it, and from the appearance of its undersides, I think it was a Broad-winged.




The hawk flapped its huge wings up and down, and I was hoping it would pick a perch soon because I was already getting out of range for sharp pictures with my 100-400 mm lens.




The critter must have heard my wish because it landed on a tree, a whole field now between us.  It was taking social distancing to a whole new level!




The hawk continued to watch me from afar.  As I sat there, I noticed how my mind had cleared, and my spirit had relaxed.  Ah, the wonders of nature.  I hope you are well and safe.



1 comment: