Thursday, May 2, 2019

DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE


This spring, the south end of Boardman Lake has been home to many migrating ducks, birds, and gulls.  I’ve received Audubon alerts for Ruddy ducks, Goldeneyes, Caspian Terns, Bonaparte gulls, and Shovelers.



One day that I visited Logan’s Landing, I saw a pair of Scaups.  These ducks can be a challenge to photograph since they are often on the move diving for aquatic insects and plants.




As is often the case in the bird world, the female has distinctly different coloring than her mate.  Scaups face a long migration as they head to Alaska and other Arctic regions for their summer habitats.



A favorite duck of mine is the Hooded Merganser.  I spotted this pair, with the male in the lead, in a farmland marsh outside of town.  Notice the turtles nonchalantly resting on a nearby log.



What I like best about this duck is the plumed head of the male Hooded Merganser.  When the plume is dry, it is very striking and gives the duck the appearance of having a very large head.



Ducks aren’t the only ones enjoying the spring thaw of lakes and farmland ponds.  I caught this pair of  Canadian Geese playing in the water of Boardman Lake.  These waterfowl are year-round residents of much of Michigan.



This pair was walking along the shoreline of the Boardman River.  I couldn’t help but wonder if they had a nearby nest as they were alert and ready to take to the water if I came any closer.



Speaking of nesting geese, I think I may have one near my home.  Mitchell Creek flows through my neighborhood and ponds in several places.  In one area, I’ve seen this goose on a nest.  Another part of me thinks there may be a trickster at play since I’ve not seen another goose nearby.  Could this be a decoy placed on a nest?  Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting, informative blog post, Karen. I like the variety of waterfowl and settings. Hopefully, you will have goslings to photograph close to home!

    ReplyDelete