Thursday, April 18, 2019

WORKING A HABITAT


When I first moved to Traverse City from Northport, I joined the local Audubon club so I could learn where the birding habitats were.



On my first outing with them, we went to a four corners in Mayfield Township, between Traverse City and Kingsley.  On one of the corners was a large marsh.  On the three other corners, there were small wetland ponds like this one.  On that particular day, the ponds and marsh were teeming with migrating birds and waterfowl. 



Since that Saturday morning, this four corners has become my jumping off point for exploring and learning about this area.  It consists of rolling hills, working farms, and abundant roadside wetlands and ponds.



There are many beautiful barns in the area, like this red one in the middle of a corn field.  Its unique roof and stonework base have drawn me to take pictures of it in all seasons.



There are also a fair share of collapsed barns, abandoned silos, and dilapidated buildings, including this interesting structure, perhaps a schoolhouse at one time.



The area I explore three or four times a week is also home to a lot of hunters, as evidenced by the number of blinds set on hillsides and nearby woods.



But it isn’t just the beautiful landscapes and varied architectures that draw me to the area.  It’s the wildlife, birds, and waterfowl I’ve learned will be there when I drive “my route.”  For example, I know I will usually see a herd of deer in certain fields at dusk.  I know I will generally hear Red-Winged Black Birds chirping and trilling when I pass wetland areas.  I know that I often will see two or three bald eagles perched in a distant wood waiting for potential prey to materialize.  Those are the givens when I work this habitat.



And then there are the times when I get lucky.  I’d noticed that a deer had been hit by a car and dragged to the side of the road.  The eagle had seen it too and, on this particular evening, I got to watch as the eagle fed on the roadkill.



I watched as the bird used its giant wings as leverage as it attempted to pull bits of meat from the small end of the deer carcass.



The eagle was very aware of my presence as it looked my way every now and then.  Satisfied that I wasn’t much of a threat, it went back to the business of eating.



But this time, the eagle hovered over the deer while it lowered itself onto the carcass, talons extended.  I couldn’t imagine what it would do next!



Firmly latched on, the bird pulled and tugged until it separated another section that it could more easily manage and consume.



As the eagle continued to use his wings, talons, and beak to tear apart the deer carcass, I decided it was time to move on.  But what a scene I’d been privy to!



As the seasonal roads become more drivable, I’ll be able to work new areas within this main habitat.  I’m also beginning to explore a few areas on the east side of the county where I now live.  Regardless, exploring is one thing I enjoy doing.








2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along as you explored and worked "your route", Karen; and for
    sharing your finds with us. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comments, Jan. Happy Easter to you too!

    ReplyDelete