Thursday, December 1, 2016

Chasing a Southerly Sunset


I started out at Peterson Park to photograph the sunset.  I had Gracie with me so preferred to stay in the car for my photoshoot.  Driving up North Foxview, I had a beautiful vista to the south of the sun starting to set over Lake Michigan.



But it was a location I'd shot from many times and, that evening, I was seeking something different.  So I chased the southerly sunset on Leelanau back roads, hoping to get a more head-on view of the nightly spectacle.



Along the way, I'd catch sight of the sinking sun and Lake Michigan through the trees.



As is easy to do on this peninsula, I lost track of the direction I was going in.  I thought I was traveling south, but my car compass said I was heading west.  I was just in time to see the sun dip through a bank of clouds into the Lake.



The afterglow over Lakes Leelanau and Michigan was spectacular.  While the clouds had occluded the sunset somewhat, they also added interest to the pink and darkening sky.



A rosy afterglow on my left accompanied me all the way back home to Northport.  It was definitely a more interesting sunset experience.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely series, Karen. I enjoyed thje light and tones in each of these images; and really love the beautiful silhouette in the bottom image.

    ReplyDelete