Thursday, March 7, 2024

MYAKKA RIVER STATE PARK

 

On the second day of my visit, Mark and I went to Myakka River State Park near Sarasota.  The park is one of Florida’s largest and most diverse natural areas.



The river flows through 58 square miles of wetlands, prairies, hammocks, and pinelands.




A 7-mile scenic drive winds through the park with occasional boardwalks for close-up views of various wetland critters.




Most of the time we stayed in the car because of the gators.




Lots of them.  Signs warned visitors not to approach, frighten, tease or feed them.  No problem.




I loved the shady oak trees with moss hanging from the branches.




They were massive.  For scale, note the person standing on the lower left side.




We saw herons and egrets, but I focused on birds I’d not seen before, like this White Ibis.  




Its curved pink bill and legs are striking.  




I also saw this white Cattle Egret.  We identified it by its small size and  the pale orange-brown patch on its head.  




Mark told me that, after Texas, Florida is the second largest cattle-raising state in the nation. Cattle Egrets sometimes forage at the feet of grazing cattle, or ride on their backs to pick off ticks.




I’d not photographed an Osprey before, although some migrate to Michigan in the summer.  This raptor was quite far away and I caught it in flight.  




Mark got this better close up of the bird as it skimmed low over the land searching for wetland fish.




The last bird I shot that day was this Black-necked Stilt.  Its black upper parts contrasted with its white underparts.  This shorebird is native to Florida and other coastal areas and never makes it north. It was another good day of photographing Florida scenery and wildlife.


No comments:

Post a Comment