Monday, March 11, 2024

BABCOCK WEBB WMA

 It was my last full day in Florida and Mark chose an area new to both of us, The Babcock Webb Wildlife Management Area, only a few miles from Punta Gorda.




The day was hazier than the previous two, but that didn’t take away from the beauty of the area, which was mostly wet pine flatwoods, interspersed with prairies, freshwater marshes, and ponds.




The focal point of Babcock Webb was the 395 acre Webb Lake.  Dispersed throughout the lake were little islands that would’ve made perfect rookery sites.  Despite the lush landscape, we didn’t see many birds. 




I did see a couple Double-crested Cormorants, one in a tree and another on the shoreline.  I love their striking turquoise eye.




I also saw another Anhinga with its wings spread out drying.  From the looks of its stretched out pink gullet, I think it had just speared and swallowed a tasty fish for lunch.  




Despite the dearth of birds at Babcock Webb, I couldn’t leave Florida without taking in a sunset.  




The Punta Gorda beach lies on the south bank of the Peace River and the eastern shore of Charlotte Harbor, an arm of the Gulf of Mexico.




Its brackish waters are a mix of fresh and seawater.  What a lovely sunset!




I made many memories while visiting my brother but my favorite was the photoshoot at the Venice rookery.  I couldn’t resist sharing a few new images of the breading Great Egrets there.




Thanks, Mark, for sharing your birding sites with me.  This spot is really special.




I had a great time taking pictures and seeing your new Florida digs.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment