Thursday, March 21, 2019

SPRING BIRDSONG FILLS THE AIR



As I've been out taking pictures during the warmer weather we've had, I've noticed so many birds joyously singing about the arrival of spring.



 Flocks of Pine Grosbeaks had descended on this ornamental tree still full of red berries.



 I wondered how the berries, which had the whole winter to ferment, would affect the voracious birds.



I was not surprised to see this American Robin since so many of them have adapted to winter and stick around for the season.



 There is always delight in seeing such beautiful red, male Northern Cardinals, who are here all winter.



Blue Jays are also gorgeous, although their demanding birdcall is irritating to some.



The sound I hear most when I'm outside is the distinctive "conk-la-reee" song from the Red-winged Blackbirds that are arriving home from winter migration.



Now that rooftops are clear of snow, Mourning Doves have returned to  their favorite perch, singing their low, mournful "coo-ah, coo, coo, coo."



And at my backyard feeder, a Hairy Woodpecker is enjoying the food from this seed cylinder.



As for Snowy Owls?  At least one is still around, although she was inside the fence around the communication buildings and towers at the industrial park.  I will probably be seeing less of these beauties as they begin their migrations back to the Arctic.  Can't complain though, as I've had many wonderful opportunities photographing them this winter.

2 comments:

  1. Great collection of bird shots,Karen. Wonderful that you were able to capture so many different birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. It was good seeing them!

    ReplyDelete