Thursday, March 7, 2019

FINALLY CATCHING THE HAWK



Last week, after photographing the feasting eagles, I drove through the surrounding area since it has always been abundant in wildlife and birds.



I went down a side road where I've often seen a hawk, but never have had the chance to photograph since it always flew off as soon as I approached.  I saw it in its familiar tree, drove on a bit, and then turned my car around to get the hawk on my driver's side.



Miraculously, it didn't fly off this time.  I knew my time seeing the hawk was probably limited, so I made my movements small and careful.



As I got closer, I wondered what type of hawk this beauty was.  This time of year identification can be challenging with all the winter coats, juveniles, and migrating birds in the area.  The faint shades of orange on the wings made me wonder if it was a Red-Shouldered Hawk.



Predictably, the hawk didn't stay long, launching into the air a few minutes after it arrived.  I felt lucky though because I'd seen this hawk several times on the same tree and hadn't gotten a shot off.



As I watched it pump its large wings through the air, I got better looks at its underside and tail feathers.  Maybe it was a Broad-winged Hawk arriving home from an early migration.  I'd perused my bird apps and books extensively in hopes of nailing down the identification of this hawk but to no avail.



The hawk soon reached the safety of another tree and became out of my camera range.  I was grateful that I'd had the chance to finally get some images of this beautiful bird...and on the same day I'd photographed the feasting eagles.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful captures, Karen! I find it very difficult to photograph Hawks for the same reason you cited. They fly off as soon as I get anywhere near them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear I’m not alone in trying to photograph hawks, Jan.

    ReplyDelete