Thursday, August 31, 2017

ORANGE EYES


I was driving around farm country when I spotted a medium-sized, brown bird picking around in a field that had already been plowed.  I thought there wasn't much left for this bird, whatever it was.



It had long spindly legs and I hadn't a clue as to its identity.



The way it walked reminded me of an Egret or a Sandhill Crane, but I knew it wasn't either of those.



And then it turned towards me and I saw it.  A beautiful orange eye!



I whipped out my bird app on my phone and typed in "orange eye" as my identifier and it came up right away.  My new bird is a killdeer belonging to the plover family.



I also learned that for habitats, the killdeer prefers open areas, such as plowed fields.  No wonder it seemed right at home where I saw it.

2 comments:

  1. Great find and captures, Karen! Killdeer always take me back to my childhood, because it was common to see them in the fields near where I lived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. So glad my killdeer images were reminiscent for you.

    ReplyDelete