Saturday, June 13, 2015

A Salmon-colored Sunset


Sunsets are like full moons to me.  I never tire of photographing sunsets, but I am always on the lookout for new places to watch them.  With the sun tracking farther to the north this spring, I headed to the Grand Traverse Lighthouse to assess the best places to view the sunset.



I drove through the campground and then walked down the path by the Fog Horn House trying to find where to set up my gear.  I was surprised at how the landscape had changed over the past year.  Areas that had been dry and covered with huge boulders were now filled with water and abundant vegetation.  What a difference higher water levels make!



It was clear there was going to be a beautiful sunset.  There were no clouds and a yellowish pink to a reddish orange had begun to overspread the sky and water.



The salmon-colored sky caught my attention and made me watch as the sun sank lower...



...and lower into Lake Michigan.


And the painted sky afterwards left me breathless.

4 comments:

  1. The afterglow is often the best, isn't it? Love the colors you captured, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pamela. And yes, the afterglow can often be the best part of the sunset, although I really love the colors that came through from this particular sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sunset captures, Karen. Love the compo and colors in all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Janet. It was the colors that especially grabbed me.

    ReplyDelete