Thursday, October 3, 2019

A WELCOME SUNSET



Last Saturday’s mostly sunny day was a perfect respite from the dreary, wet days we’ve been having for nearly two weeks.  The sunshine also beckoned me to sunset picture-taking.





Gracie and I headed to Old Mission to look for a high spot with a water view.  We found it in a neighborhood and pulled into a cul-de-sac to watch and wait.  I was amazed at how far south the sun had traveled since I’d shot the last sunset in June.





The spot not only gave a water view, but it was also above a beautiful meadow.  I was on the lookout for critters, especially deer, but I didn’t see any.






The sun was so bright, I couldn’t use my viewfinder to take the picture, instead, resorting to the articulating LCD on the back of the camera to protect my eyes.





The sun appeared to be moving fast as it approached the hills and land of the Leelanau Peninsula.  I knew in a moment, it would be gone.





As the sun dipped below the land, the whole landscape changed.  The foliage and water darkened and the sky turned a beautiful gold.





Since the sky was cloudless, I wondered what the afterglow would be like.  It started with gold at the horizon, and a faint rose above the gold.  The water was pinking up too.





The afterglow colors continued to intensify into a rosy gold in the sky, and the rose color reflected in the bay.  I called it good and headed home, wondering where the meandering sun would take me for the next sunset.





2 comments: