Thursday, July 11, 2019

A SUMMER'S EVENING DRIVE


I hadn’t been out to farm country since mid-June, and it was a beautiful evening for a drive.  Gracie nudged my camera bag as a hint to get going so off we went.  I wondered what changes I’d see.



Right away as I came over a hill, I saw one of my favorite scenes.  Hay Bales!



I even saw a farmer baling the hay as I watched.  He drove his green John Deere tractor up and down a field where the hay had been cut.  I watched in amazement as the machine sucked the hay inside and spit out perfectly rolled hay bales every few minutes.



The corn had also taken off too, thanks to some much-needed rain.  It looked to me like it had reached knee high.



And there were also plenty of beautiful barns.  This one had window boxes filled with flowers.  Imagine that.



Who doesn’t love a red barn?  This one even had an intact silo.



As usual, I had an eye out for critters.  I pulled up along side this fenced pen and wondered at first what this long-eared animal was.  It certainly had blood-hound ears but not the body.



Then it looked up.  Oh, duh!  It was a goat with a mouthful of grass.  As I went further, I saw a young one in a pen, bleating its heart out.



There was lots of road work going on, so I had to divert myself down some new places.  I immediately saw this beautiful horse with a very active tail swatting bothersome bugs, I guessed.



We’d left the house shortly after the news.  The weatherman had said the sunset would be red because of all the smokey haze in the atmosphere, so I’d kept an eye peeled for that.  Sure enough, I caught a glimpse of the reddish-sun as it began to set behind a copse of trees.  Nothing like a sunset, even ones out in farm country.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us the beautiful signts you saw on your summer's evening drive, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. We've had some lovely evenings of late, now that summer is finally here. Trying to take advantage of that.

    ReplyDelete