Thursday, May 23, 2019

BIRDS IN THEIR ELEMENTS


Starting Sunday afternoon, the local Audubon email alert was going wild.  Best Warbler day ever, I read.  The hotbed of activity seemed to be the south end of Boardman Lake around Medalie Park and the Boardman Lake Trail.  After the third alert, I couldn’t stand it, so I headed out.



My first sighting was this beautiful male Northern Cardinal.  It was nice to see the bird in a natural surrounding versus on my feeders.



It didn’t take long to spy another of my favorites, a Red-winged Blackbird.  This species’ birdsong fills the spring air with their beautiful trills.



I followed this beauty as it moved to a cattail spike.  It was fun to watch as it put its whole body into vocalizing.



And nearby was a female Red-winged Blackbird.  Can hardly believe these two are both RWBBs!  Like several species, the males and females are markedly different in appearance.



While I hadn’t yet seen any of the exotics yet, I began seeing birds new to me.  This Song Sparrow likes the marshy area where I photographed it.



This Eastern Phoebe was coming into its summer breeding grounds.  So far, I’d seen some new birds, but none of the warblers I’d heard about.



Then I hit the jackpot with this beautiful Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler.  This male was definitely migrating to its summer habitat.



The warbler turned my way for this goofy-looking front pose.  Then it took off.  I felt lucky to have sighted three new birds, including one of the exotic warbler types.  A banner day for birders.








2 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots, Karen. I love the variety and am glad it included a Myrtle Warbler. I used to see these every May when I lived in Berkley, but haven't seen any since the move to Northport. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jan. It was really great seeing and learning about the Myrtle Warbler.

    ReplyDelete