Thursday, January 31, 2019

COLD AND HUNGRY BIRDS



One of the first things I did after moving into my new home in mid-December was to set up my bird feeders.  I don’t have any landscaping yet, so I wasn’t sure how many birds would find me.



 As the cold weather set in, and the snow began, the tops of my feeders became a measuring stick for how deep the snow was.



 An American Goldfinch was the first variety to visit my feeders.  This time of year these birds sport their drab winter coats.



My second bird species to arrive was a Dark-eyed, Slate-Colored Junco.  They are one of my favorite birds.



At first, the Junco appeared to be having difficulty locating the perches, instead landing on the rain guard.  When it started pecking at the snow, I wondered if it was thirsty or a first timer on the feeder.






Fortunately, the Junco found its way to a perch and shared the feeder with the Goldfinch.









In this extremely cold, snowy weather we’re having, there’s a lot of fluttering of wings going on at the feeders as the little birds vie for a spot to eat.






Fortunately, there’s enough room for all the birds, as they fight to stay alive in this brutal winter weather.  I'm hoping that when I get some landscaping next spring and summer, my habitat will attract more varieties of birds.







2 comments:

  1. Lovely bird captures, Karen. This series also beautifully captures the kind of winter weather we've been experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. Hopefully, we’ll be getting a little break from it all soon.

      Delete