Thursday, February 1, 2018

A PURE SUNSET


It looked like there was going to be a nice sunset so I decided to head over to Empire.  I brought along both my old and new cameras because I'd begun to doubt whether the new one could measure up to my expectations.  It was a nice drive to the beach with clear roads the whole way.  I'd made this drive many times, but didn't think I'd ever done so in the winter. 



When I got to Village Park, I noticed the sky was pinking up to the north and a stiff wind was laying the dune grass nearly flat against the sand.  The park was about half full with other sunset watchers.  Pretty good for the middle of winter.



But the real show was going on to the south.  The sky was cloudless and I could already tell the sunset was going to be a pure one.  Just sky, sun, and water.



As the sun descended behind the Lake, the sky was awash with lovely shades of rosy salmon.  The rays reflected the same colors onto the water.



I'm always amazed at how fast the sunset goes once it hits the water.  Sunset watchers wait and watch patiently for the moment the sun appears to meet the water and when it does, the sun's gone in merely a minute or two.



Usually, the afterglow is just as spectacular as the sunset.  But on this evening, there were no clouds to help create an afterglow streaked with reds, purples, and pinks. 



As the color began to fade from the sky, I noticed wind-driven rollers continued to pound the shoreline.  What a scene it made!



As I headed out of the park, the rosy sky continued to hang above the dunes and water.  I held the scene in memory the whole way home.  And oh yes, the new camera went back.  All these scenes made here were from my trusted Canon.





4 comments:

  1. A gorgeous sunset series, Karen!
    I believe that my dream camera is much like yours - lightweight and compact, with great range and image quality. One of these days....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. I'm beginning to think a dream camera doesn't exist. I'm not sure that lightweight and compact goes with the image quality and dynamic range that either of us demand in our photography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love sunsets! I never get tired of watching them slip down in to the horizon. Over the lake there even more beautiful. My favorite two things about sunsets: one never two alike and two if you don't think its going to look very beautiful just wait a minute and it will change. Thanks for sharing (and braving the cold) for these wonderful sunset pictures. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of those rare sunsets where there wasn't a lot of change, especially at the end. I think it was because it was such a cloudless sky.
    Beautiful sunset, anyway. I love 'em too.

    ReplyDelete