Thursday, December 28, 2017

FAVORITES OF 2017


Every year I look back over the pictures I've taken and choose my favorites for that year.  Moving to Traverse City a year ago created some challenges with finding all new landscape subjects and critter environments.  But joining the local Audubon club was pivotal in helping me find new habitats to photograph.  Fortunately, these places were both scenic and full of all kinds of birds and wildlife.



From spring through fall, hundreds of sandhill cranes populated the area I visit often.  Sometimes I saw them in twos or threes, and other times I saw huge flocks of them on the ground or in the sky.  This juvenile crane was such a cutie and was talking the whole time I photographed its family. 



I've learned farmland sunset images can be as striking as sunsets over the water.  On this particular evening, pinks and purples dominated the sky.



Old Mission and Leelanau Peninsulas are home to many orchards.  This canopy of blossoms was representative of the many scenes found in these orchards during May.



Joining the local Audubon club exposed me to many new kinds of birds.  This Cedar Waxwing with its striking mask was one of them.  I'm hoping this species will visit my neighborhood this winter to taste my frozen Mountain Ash berries.



Here is another farmland sunset, this one resplendent with orange, gold, and salmon colors.



I'd seen one Great Blue Heron in Northport Creek, but it didn't stick around long enough for me to photograph it. This year, I photographed several Great Blues and I like this image the best.  I thought it was going to take off, but it just ruffled its wings for me.



The red-topped spires at the Grand Traverse Commons have fascinated me.  I tried getting as many in one image as I could. 



I've seen several Bald Eagles in the coastal areas along Grand Traverse Bay, but had never gotten the chance to photograph one.  I was lucky one afternoon driving along the bay on Old Mission.  This eagle didn't seem too bothered by my appearance on its turf so I got several good images.



With the current irruption of Snowy Owls, they've become nearly commonplace to see and photograph.  Still there is great excitement in seeing this beautiful bird.



What was my favorite image of 2017?  It was this beautiful Red Fox photographed right in my neighborhood.  I'd not seen one in my last few years in Northport, so it was thrilling to see this gorgeous critter so close to my home.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your favorite pictures and the stories behind them. I've really enjoyed visiting the blog to see what adventures my sister Karen is up to next. Your photography skills continue to improve and you should really be proud of your blog. I look forward to following your blog in 2018!
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mark. I really enjoy doing my blog. It gets me out there taking pictures and telling stories. sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful retrospective, Karen! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jan. Happy New Year to you also. Karen

    ReplyDelete