Thursday, November 30, 2017

A GULL IS A GULL. RIGHT?


Or so I thought.  I went to Clinch Park Sunday afternoon to see if anything was happening.  The place was fairly empty except for a few kids enjoying the playground and some folks walking dogs on the trail. 


I spied this seagull and decided to take its picture.  It was a regular run-of-the-mill seagull.  The kind that begs from you at the beach and every park bench in the city.



It turned towards me and I noticed its beautiful, pale eye.  I'd not paid much attention to this bird before.  Its bill had a black ring near the tip too.



Besides the begging qualities of gulls, I'd seen them soaring on the thermals above the water at the beach.  They've provided a great way for me to learn how to take pictures of birds in flight, or BIF as it's know in photography parlance.



As I moved on, I saw another bird posing on a post.  I thought it was a gull, but it was sure different-looking than the first.  I couldn't help myself from going straight to my bird app.  And I was shocked!  There are 27 kinds of seagulls in North America.



And of the 27, only two are year-round natives to our area.  The first gull was clearly a Ring-billed Gull.  The other native gull is a Herring Gull, which has a similar appearance to the Ring-billed Gull, except for a red spot on its bill.  The gull above didn't have the markings of either of those gulls.  But as I dug deeper into the app, I learned that this gull was a juvenile of one of the two local species.



I guess I learned a couple things from my photo-op with the gulls.  A gull isn't just a gull.  There are a lot more kinds than I originally had thought.



I also learned, but mostly saw, that the Clinch Park Marina gulls are pretty well-fed.  Must be stocking up for the winter.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics and interesting write-up, Karen! I knew there were several kinds of seagulls thanks to Flickr, but didn't know there were 27 different kinds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. They were fun critters to watch.

    ReplyDelete